When shopping for summer top styles, there are plenty of options available. Here are some popular shirt styles for the summertime, and ways to get the most use out of them.
Tunic tops can be found in linen, cotton, and other lightweight fabrics. Tunics are typically unstructured, and the hem may be a little longer than most other shirt styles. How to style a tunic top:
- Pair a loose-fitting tunic top with skinny jeans or leggings. The fitted bottoms provide shape, while the unstructured top keeps the outfit casual.
- Cinch a tunic top with a wide leather belt to add some shape. Accessorize with oversized sunglasses, cropped jeans or leggings, and a summery straw tote bag.
- Wear a breezy tunic top over a swimsuit with shorts for an easy beach cover-up.
Tank or Sleeveless Tops
Tank tops are some of summer’s most versatile top styles. Tank tops can serve as key outfit pieces, or as layers to give a neutral look a pop of color.
- Tuck a tank into a high-waisted a-line skirt to create a block dress look that is perfect for summer picnics and barbecues.
- Layer tanks and sleeveless tops under everything from lightweight cardigans to boyfriend-fit plaid shirts.
- Pair a brightly-colored fitted tank under a more neutral tank. Wear with cropped jeans or capris and highlight with some hoop or drop earrings for a fun summer look.
The camp shirt style is a classic summer wardrobe staple. Camp shirts are usually button-up, with rolled or short sleeves. They can be found in various fabrics and colors, especially in plaids or solids.
- Wear a camp shirt with khaki, gray, or navy shorts for a casual summer look. Dress up the look with a string of pearls and a classic structured handbag.
- Dress up a camp shirt by pairing it with a neutral pencil skirt, or tucked into a high-waisted a-line skirt. Finish off the look with chunky sandals or cutout flats.
The classic t-shirt is a go-to style in the summer.
- Tees have developed beyond the traditional crewneck. Now t-shirts can found in flattering styles like boatnecks, scoopnecks, and v-necks. These dressier tees are perfect when paired with cropped or Bermuda shorts and cutout flats or strappy sandals.
- Dress up a plain white, gray, or black tee with summery accessories. Try silver, turquoise, or coral jewelry, a silk scarf for chilly evenings, and a pair of funky metallic or beaded sandals. The right pieces can come alive against the backdrop of a plain tee.
- Embellished tees, including pieces with sequins or rhinestones, tuxedo-front ruffles, or other decorative accents, are becoming more widely available. These items function as works of art all on their own, so minimize the accessories with these tops. Embellished t-shirts look great with subdued bottoms like dark-wash jeans or shorts.
Summer tops offer versatility and endless outfit options. All that these top styles require is some well-chosen accessories for a variety of stylish summer looks.
How to Wear a White T-Shirt
The white t-shirt is a fashion staple: everyone from toddlers to heroines in slasher films wear them. For women, there’s nothing better than having that perfectly fitting white t-shirt to throw on after a day at the office or on the weekend. The white tee’s versatility lends itself to plenty of outfits, from casual styles to formal wear.
Wear a White T-Shirt for Weekend Style
The humble white tee provides a backdrop for accessories and jewelry. Here are some ways to punch up a plain white t-shirt.
- Get back to basics: pair a plain tee with dark-washed bootcut or skinny jeans. Top off the look with a fringed silk scarf and black flats.
- Layer a white t-shirt over a tank top, so that the hem of the tank peeks out beneath the tee. A tank top with lace trim or a pattern adds an entirely new option to a basic tee. Tank tops also provide extra covering for a white t-shirt that is a little too see-through or low-cut for some settings.
- For a fresh springtime look, wear a crisp white t-shirt with a pair of navy Bermuda shorts. Tie a small scarf off-center and round out the outfit with wedge sandals.
Wear a White T-Shirt for Going Out
Most people think of a white t-shirt as the ultimate in casual fashion, but its flexibility lends this wardrobe basic to late-night style too.
- Tuck a white t-shirt into a structured, short tulip skirt. The architecture of the skirt offsets the relaxed silhouette of the top. Wear with fishnets or tights with a hint of glimmer for a night out on the town, and finish off the look with a pair of ankle or knee-high boots.
- Wear a white t-shirt untucked with a pair of dark, skinny jeans and an oversize blazer. Add some feminine touches like a strand of pearls or a stack of metallic bangles. Round out the look with black flats or ankle boots.
- Top a pair of black leggings with a long t-shirt. Throw on a long, lightweight cardigan or a black bomber jacket for a tougher look. Keep it fresh with simple black flats.
Wear a White T-Shirt for Formal Events
A fitted white t-shirt that keeps its shape can even be used for more formal occasions.
Tuck a v-neck white tee into a high-waisted, floor-length skirt. Accessorize a dramatic skirt simply, with metallic wrist bangles and a plain satin clutch.
Tuck a white t-shirt into black dress pants. Dress it up with chunky silver and turquoise jewelry and heels. Or layer a white tee over an embellished tank top for some extra sparkle; accessorize with a pearl-and-ribbon necklace or a pair of oversized hoop earrings.
White t-shirts provide the perfect neutral backdrop for both classic fashion and unpredictable style. Stock up now on tees with different sleeve lengths and of different fabric weights for versatile spring and summer style.